Musical Analysis #1: Jurassic Park Theme



The Jurassic Park Theme is one of my absolute favorite pieces by John Williams, from his film score for Jurassic Park. The American film by Steven Spielberg was released in 1993, and its score continues to delight listeners of all ages. The melody line of the main theme is surprisingly simple; however, the incredible orchestrations make this piece both enjoyable and memorable for many people. According to one review, "...Williams wrote what is technically 'the theme' for the film's dinosaurs in the form of a romantic string and choral piece that remains as noble a fantasy theme as any Williams has ever created" (Filmtracks, 2022). Based on many of the other reviews that I found, this theme is generally regarded as one of Williams' best. I agree with this opinion and also enjoy many of Williams' other works including: Flight to Neverland, Theme from Schindler's List, and Theme from Indiana Jones.

Meter: The meter for the opening section of the piece seems to be in 6/4 time. I wanted to find part of the orchestral score, because it was difficult to count the opening bars. 6/4 is not especially common, so I would not have guessed that this would be Williams' meter of choice. A few bars later, the meter changes to 3/4 and then later to 4/4. From what I can tell, the rest of the piece is largely in 4/4 time. Unfortunately, I was able to find access to only a preview of the entire score to verify my assumptions. I think that William's choice of meter was a significant part of why the theme feels broad and majestic. If he had used 3/4 time, for example, the listener would not experience the same sensation of vast beauty, excitement, and the wonder of seeing live dinosaurs for the first time.

Dynamics: The dynamics in the Jurassic Park Theme start out in the quiet (p-mp) range and then slowly build to the point where the strings take over. At this point, I would say that the volume reaches a medium to loud range (mf-f), before breaking out into the theme once more in bold forte. The dynamics then ebb and flow with the choral section to create an almost ethereal, awed feeling for the listener.

Melody: The piece begins with a single French Horn playing an eerie melody line comprised of four different notes. Forming a short introduction to the main theme, this melody is repeated three times by the French Horn before being joined by a flute. The flute first introduces the main theme for which Jurassic Park is known. It is repeated by the strings, and then grows as it is taken to the next level of sound with the addition of the booming brass section. Williams said that the first motif of the theme "...was an attempt to capture the awesome beauty and sublimity of the dinosaurs in nature" (Wikipedia, 2022). I think that Williams certainly achieved this goal, and really helped to enhance the special moment of seeing the dinosaurs for the first time.


Sources referenced:
"Jurassic Park." Filmtrackshttps://www.filmtracks.com/titles/jurassic_park.html, accessed 28 Sep.
    2022.
"Jurassic Park (film score)." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation Inc., 19 Jun. 2022. Web. 28 Sep. 2022.

Note: Photos above from the Original Jurassic Park Motion-Picture retrieved from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park_(film_score)) and Paleontology World (https://paleontologyworld.com/entertainment/jurassic-park-every-dinosaur-original-trilogy).





Comments

  1. I agree, the theme is one of John Williams greatest pieces of work. I remember watching Jurassic park and Indiana Jones when i was younger, i always liked the music in Jurassic park the best. If you haven't seen the movie Jaws you should check it out, Williams' work in Jaws is pretty awesome too. Williams' use of dynamics in the theme song was presented beautifully because it created a great experience for the audience. In regards to the statement " was an attempt to capture the awesome beauty and sublimity of the dinosaurs in nature" by Williams, I think he achieved that goal too. Every time I hear The Jurassic Park theme song I imagine all the dinosaurs in nature. Your analysis of the melody is great and I think the melody is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Casey. I have not seen Jaws, but I have heard parts of the soundtrack and it is amazing!

      Delete
  2. I agree that John Williams' score continues to delight listeners of all ages. You have probably heard a lot of John Williams' songs in many movies and not have known. Such as he composed "Hedwig's Theme" in Harry Potter and "Anakin's Betrayal" in Star Wars. I actually did not grow up with the Jurassic Park movies or watching them. The movie closest to when I was born is actually Jurassic Park III. The theme song of Jurassic Park is always recognizable though. I think that your analysis of the meter is really well spoken. I agree that the different meters give the song different feels. The beginning being anything but 6/4 seems unimaginable. The song is so majesitic, nostalgic and makes you think of seeing all the dinosaurs in their natural habitats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that this was an incredibly awesome choice for your analysis. I also happen to like this particular piece because it is so enchanting, mystical, and wonderous. John Williams also is one of my favorite composers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts