Musical Analysis #3: Stars from 'Les Misérables'

Stars - 2012, Great Britain (as performed by Russell Crowe in the 2012 film 'Les Misérables)

Thoughts: After the last blog post assignment - Music and the Fictive Dream, I decided to explore another musical, but this time, one with which I was unfamiliar. I have heard many positive reviews about 'Les Misérables', but have surprisingly never watched a performance of the musical or the film that was released in 2012. One of my extended family members was recently telling me how much she enjoyed the musical, so I decided to begin by exploring the soundtrack from the 2012 film. I listened to Bring Him Home, as well as several other pieces and was immediately hooked. The song Stars, written by Schönberg, Kretzmer, and Boublil, caught my attention, because of the memorable melody line and serious, contemplative mood in which it is sung. Click here to watch the scene from the film where Javert (played by Russell Crowe) performs this song.


Instrumentation: The instrumentation is rather sparse, with strings being the primary accompaniment to Crowe's vocal line. The strings add a drone layer to the background, as well as "doubles" layer that really helps the listener feel the meter. The nature of the vocal line makes it difficult to feel the beat or meter. Thus, the instrumentation solidifies where the beats actually happen. There are also harp parts included later in the piece.

Melody: Most of the reviews that I read regarding Crowe's performance in Stars were negative and critical of the way it fit with the emotion expressed by the performances of the other characters. Even though I have not seen the entire film, I absolutely loved the scene where Crowe sings Stars as the character Javert, the police inspector. The melody line stays within a relatively close range until the ending, where the tone becomes more impassioned and Javert swears to catch Jean Valjean and bring him to justice. I really think that the melody line is rather simple, with most of the accompaniment being strings playing "doubles" (probably an eighth-note or sixteenth-note pattern). I think that the close-range melody is evidence of Javert's thoughts going around in circles as he thinks through how to catch Jean Valjean, as he has sworn to do. The melody sounds as if Javert is asking questions of himself and then answering them, as if to reassure himself. Overall, I think that the melody brings a positive, hopeful feeling to the listener - a feeling of stillness and calm.
One critic wrote that Crowe's "...most notable solo Stars fails to evoke the sense of awe that it is capable of, or that his cast mates' impassioned solos do" (Cornet, 2012). I would have to disagree with this comment, because I think that the way he carries the melody line and shows emotion in this song is well done. Due to the nature of Javert's role in Les Misérables, I think that the more contemplative, almost discouraged tone is more appropriate to what he is probably feeling in this scene. Javert later takes his own life, and I think this song is just one expression of the internal struggles and turmoil that he was facing. Trying to cope with such feelings is understandably no easy task. Thus, I think that Crowe's performance in this piece fits perfectly with the role of his character. 

Lyrics: The lyrics to this piece are quite serious, and Javert seems to be talking to God or at least acknowledging the presence of God in his life and work. I thought this was so interesting, because everything that I have read about Javert's role in Les Misérables and what his character was supposed to represent in no way points to religion or faith in God. He was obsessed with pursuing and punishing Valjean (Wikipedia, 2022). I think that the purpose of the lyrics is to show that Javert has come to the end of himself and realizes that he may not be able to bring Jean Valjean to justice. I think that is why he speaks to the stars as if they are keeping watch over Valjean, and also over Javert's efforts to apprehend him. Click here to view the full lyrics for Stars. My favorite part is actually verse two:
Stars, in your multitudes,
Scarce to be counted,
Filling the darkness,
With order and light,
You are the sentinels,
Silent and sure,
Keeping watch in the night,
Keeping watch in the night.

Timbre: As I listen to the timbres in this piece, the word that I would use to describe the sound would be "muted" or "restrained". In the discussion of the melody, I mentioned that the tone is questioning, contemplative, or even unsure. I think that the timbre also serves as a support to the emotions expressed by Javert. The combination of timbres presented by his voice and strings are appealing, because they are complementary.

Meter: It is fairly easy to count and feel the 1-2-3-4-5-6 impulse throughout this piece (listen for the strings as they play two of every note, especially at the beginning). The time signature that immediately came to my mind was 6/8, but all the arrangements that I found for Stars were written in 12/8, so I would conclude that it is the correct meter. Though the song is serious by nature, the 12/8 time gives it a lilting, swaying feeling, as well.

References and Additional Sources:
Cornet, Roth. "Les Miserables Review." IGN, 11 Dec. 2012. Web. 
"Javert." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 21 June. 2022. Web.
"Les Miserables (2012 Film)." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 24 Nov. 2022. Web.














Comments

  1. Hi Areli, 
    I as well decided to explore another musical in my blog post. I too have never watched Les Miserables, as well as I do not think I had ever heard the music until now. I found the song to be very poetic. I like how you included the lyrics and showed your favorite part of the music. I as well had not seen timbre referred to as muted or restrained, I like how you used those describing words. If you watch the musical or film and enjoy it, I have seen it be compared to be similar to Jekyll and Hyde and Camelot. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts